Friday, July 21, 2006

El Capitan...el FREEZO!!!


So, we just got back from our camping trip and back into the warmth - PRAISE THE LORD!!! The trip started off on a positive note...7:45 am on the back of a hot bike - I was primed! Dad and I stopped off at a cool little breakfast place (my butt was ACHING at this point, and I must admit to being a little woozy from the exhaust of a billion cars as we went thru traffic in LA - nothing like second-hand smog!) We got to travel along the coastal highway for a bit, and went for a walk along the beach north of Santa Barbara while we waited for the rest of our troop to catch up with us.
We arrived at the campsite only to be greeted by a cold, misty fog. From 100 degree weather to double-up on sweaters...WHAT UP?!! But I am NOT allowed to complain about the weather (out loud) and so it was suck it up and go for layers! The first nite we were in bed by 9:30...CRAZINESS!!!
I don't know why I ever pack anything outside of pajamas and beachwear when I go camping...I mean, I don't think I got out of my jammies until 2, and by then the sun had finally decided to show up and we could hang out at the beach. I think it's a given that NOBODY looks pretty when they're camping!
Sarah and I snuck into town for our much-needed Starbucks and to find some wood. We scoured the backs of stores looking for lonely pallets that had escaped the safety of the herds for us to prey upon. Found a few "Thieves will be prosectued" signs before locating one at K-mart (the store actually still exists down here!) It was a start, but still not enough to keep the fires going at camp. Thanx to a little patience and the genius who thought Construction signs should be orange, we found a bin of scrap wood at a condo undergoing renovations. Bring on the dumpster divers. I felt like white trash - decked in my scrubby pjs, kids screaming in the car (they were proud of us), while a bunch of Mexicans looked on. Amusing, I'm sure!
We had a killer meal - steak and grilled veggies (we've been enjoying some fine cuisine as of late!) and sent the little monsters off to bed (after a bedtime story from auntie featuring "Gasterix" and his gaseous veggetables...I'll have to share it some other time...) It was adult time...stoke up the fire and settle in for the nite. Sue and JJ went into town for some "essentials" (Starbucks included) and we ended up chatting and keeping the rest of the campground up until 12:30. It was a lot of fun to relax around the fire (and try and maintain body temperature from its blazing heat!) It's amazing what you learn about people late at nite with a bit of Stella...
We left for home first thing in the morning, and I almost made it all the way in the back seat of the van! We had just pulled off the freeway, not even 5 minutes from home and it was panic...hello french toast! That's two horrific experiences for Maegan and the second opportunity to deep clean the carpets. Steve has decided to drive back with us, so that should make our trip home interesting with the extra person in the back seat. I'll just have to equip myself with some solid plastic bags and a lot of prayer!

1 Comments:

Blogger Megs said...

EEEWWW i seriously LOVE your crazy adventures!!!

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home